Employment Opportunities At Port Canaveral
We have some amazing projects coming up at the Port and we need great people with the vision and skills to help us move forward into an exciting future. If you're motivated to help make this happen, Port Canaveral may be the right place for you and you may be the next person to join our team!
Port Canaveral is a non-operating port in that Port tenants and sub-tenants provide most direct port operation services. For employment in these operational services (i.e. stevedore, pilot, porter, crane operator, etc.), please contact the companies in our Tenant Directory. You'll find the addresses and phone numbers you need there. For employment on cruise ships, contact the individual cruise lines listed in our Tenant Directory.
Employees of the Canaveral Port Authority take care of a variety of administrative and classified service duties. Our departments are listed below.
Law Enforcement/Security (24/7 unarmed port security)
Terminal Operations (maintains appearance
and cleanliness of cruise terminals)
Building Maintenance (general maintenance,
electrical, plumbing, air conditioning, etc.)
We offer Port Authority employees an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental, vision and life insurance. In addition, we have generous vacation and sick time accruals, eleven paid holidays and retirement accounts. We also offer direct deposit to our employees to help busy schedules flow more smoothly.
The Canaveral Port Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, marital status, or disability which does not preclude the performance of the essential functions of the job, with reasonable accommodations provided as necessary. We are committed to providing a safe work environment and require pre-employment drug screening, completion of a medical health questionnaire, medical evaluation, a driver's license check by the Department of Motor Vehicles and a federal criminal background check as part of our employment process.
Canaveral Port Authority participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please click a link below to read more.
POSITION: Automation Controls Specialist
The Automation Controls Specialist is a management position reporting to the Direction of Infrastructure and is responsible for the technical and administrative aspects of all automation systems, electronic control systems, HVAC systems, electromechanical systems, lighting control systems and system fields in general for all landside and waterside facilities maintained by the Port. This position will oversee and direct employees, provide hands-on management and supervision including monitoring compliance with applicable standards and regulatory requirements. Must have demonstrated leadership skills, excellent technical skills and a commitment to service excellence. As the Automation Controls Specialist (ACS), you will be responsible for supervising and coordinating activities in support of facilities maintenance and construction that will include diagnostic review, upkeep, repairs, inventory, and preventive maintenance in an efficient manner in areas such as dock, gangways, buildings, grounds keeping, and mechanical plants. You will also schedule and directly supervise and manage employees and/or vendor work. Ensure all work is performed as efficient, safe and economically to meet and exceed Canaveral Port Authority operational requirements.
- Plan, direct and manage efficient automation control operations, for building maintenance, pier and wharf maintenance, grounds maintenance, shop operations, gangway maintenance, HVAC, automation systems, electrical systems, lighting control systems, and support services.
- Oversee and maintain all mechanical systems including HVAC control systems, chillers (centrifugal, screw, air cooled), cooling towers, pumps, valves, motors, air handling units, VFD’s, boilers, heat exchangers, VAV’s and ice storage tanks.
- Oversee and maintain all electromechanical systems including all MDP’s, transformers, switchgear, lighting control systems, lighting fixtures, panelboards, and generators.
- Assist in preparing annual department budget, including operating and capital budgets, to ensure funds allocated are effectively utilized.
- Plan, direct and coordinate effective programs for energy conservation, utility management, health and safety, and disaster preparedness.
- Interpret and ensure compliance with applicable codes, rules and regulations.
- Provide timely and accurate written and oral reports as required by the Port.
- Implement and preserve sound maintenance practices for equipment and facilities through preventative maintenance programs and procedures.
- Participate in the planning and development of new facilities, renovations and infrastructure projects.
- Manage the performance of outside contractors performing automation and controls work to ensure successful completion of projects.
- Ensure areas of responsibility operate effectively within the policies and procedures of the Canaveral Port Authority.
- Coordinate with Environmental Health and Public Safety offices with regard to hazardous waste control, building codes and safety regulations.
- Keep abreast of latest technical developments in work methods, materials and equipment as related to automation and controls.
- Responsible for the supervision, training, recruitment, evaluation, development and discipline of personnel assigned to your department and to ensure compliance with Port policies and procedures.
- Ability to work off hours including evenings and weekends as well as on-call for emergency situations.
- Minimum twelve years experience in the facilities maintenance field, preferably in a Port or campus-wide setting.
- Certified in maintaining controls systems by Siemens and Trane; air handling systems by Trane, Carrier and McQuay.
- Experience in the installation, operation and repair of variable frequency drives.
- Experience with gangway operations.
- Strong organizational and management skills. Familiar with cost accounting and budgeting
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of plant management in an institutional environment or large organization
- Experience and success with interpreting and implementing rules, regulations, and codes related to facility development and operations
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and proven ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated success in working with teams; strong leadership skills
- Ability to perform under pressure with frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated ability to be a creative problem-solver, a strategic-thinker and decision- maker
- Excellent customer service, managerial, communication, and technical skills.
- Physical agility required for climbing ladders, stairways and narrow walkways. Requires keen audio visual perception. Ability to operate standard vehicles and office equipment to include telephone, computer, fax, copy machine, etc.
- Must possess proficiency computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and databases.
- Experience in port operations and maintenance is highly preferred.
- Must be able to secure a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) to obtain access to restricted facility areas within a 90-day period.
Click here to fill out our online application for this position.
POSITION: Parking Attendant Part-Time - Level I Cruise Terminals
This position is the individual on staff of the Canaveral Port Authority who assists in the execution of Paid Parking Lot activities. This position reports to the Parking Supervisor
The incumbent's duties and responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following:
- Collect and safeguard parking fees collected from users of Canaveral Port Authority parking lots in accordance with CPA procedures.
- Maintain an accurate accounting for all funds handled at the Canaveral Port Authority Parking Lots. Functions include pick up starting cash at designated location, verify accuracy of cash as shown on starting cash bag, collect fees, and prepare and deposit all receipts in designated bank depositories.
- Safely facilitate the movement of vehicular and pedestrian traffic in areas surrounding the assigned Cruise Terminals. Direct charter buses, passenger shuttles and taxis to designated drop-off and loading areas. Direct parking lot users to designated parking areas, i.e. employees, passengers, visitors, vendors and crewmembers.
- Enforce parking restrictions and assist in identifying unlicensed taxis and shuttles. Assist in providing safety and security for users of parking lots and other outside facilities. Guard against abuse of CPA parking facilities. Lock and secure gates as directed at the close of business.
- Operate manual and hydraulic passenger gangway at Cruise Terminals. Advise ship personnel when “lineup” is satisfactory. Ensure that gangways are used only when they are within specified operating parameters.
- Provide transportation on approved vehicles for passengers and employees requiring assistance from their parking location to the Cruise Terminal.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED and valid Florida Driver’s License.
Click here to fill out our online application for this position.
How to Apply
You can apply online, by fax or via mail. (Please note that we do not accept or open any files attached to emails.)
To apply by mail or fax, click here to download a printable version of the Port Canaveral Employment Application. Then fax your completed form to us at 321-394-3496 or mail it to:
Canaveral Port Authority
Attn: Human Resources
445 Challenger Rd, Suite 301
Cape Canaveral, FL 32920
We look forward to hearing from you!